background

Friday, April 20, 2012

Cloudy With A Chance Of...




Hello. I'm reporting from tornado alley and the season for catostrophic weather is in full swing. Just last week, there was a tornado watch in effect. Apparantly this was pretty traumatic for some kids because they were talking about it all week. I thought, "Why not turn this into a speech activity?" This high interest activity has helped to address goals for some of my students with speech/voice issues.  I began the lesson by stating that some people use their voice for their career. Can you think of any jobs that require a good voice? Let the students brainstorm and write their responses on the board. Hopefully, they thought of a meteorologist or a reporter.  If not, guide them in that direction.  Next, watch this video: 




Have a conversation about what made this man's voice "good."  With one of my older students, I made a rating scale that included rate, volume, pitch, pausing, overall intelligibility, and stress.  This lead to great discussion about voice.  Now, instruct the student to make their own weather forecast.  Give them five minutes or so to research upcoming weather in their area and make some quick notes.  Tell them that they will have to give a one minute weather report.  Video their forecast (I used my iPad).  Watch the forecast with the student and have them rate their voice using the same parameters listed above.  If they are unsatisfied, try again!  This lesson leads to great discussion!!  For example, how is the meteorologist's voice different from my voice?  Does the meteorologist speak differently to his family than he does on TV?  Would it be weird if we talked like a meteorologist all the time?  Have fun with this!

Talk it up!
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Will use this with my rapid talking kiddo who is growing weary of therapy. Let him be someone else! what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete