background

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Resources Galore

I try my best to avoid all of the back-to-school hype.   Back-to-school ads began just when I had fully began to relax and enjoy my summer.  Seriously, it started way too early.  This year was no exception.  I avoided "back-to-school" anything until 7 AM on the first teacher work day.  And boy am I paying for it! I have paperwork up to my eyeballs and no lesson plans to speak of.  Good thing I work well under pressure!  So, where do I go to find my lesson plans/ parent resources/ therapy materials to get back on track???  Good question!  

Speech/Language Blogs
In my "free time" (a.k.a. when I'm procrastinating that paperwork up to my eyeballs) I peruse Speech/Language Therapy Blogs.  This is perhaps the most affordable source (free!) for a wealth of ideas.  You can find ideas to target goals for every age range and every ability level. Check out my favorites on the right!  

Pinterest
I've said it before and I will say it again, you're missing out if you're not on Pinterest.  Join now and follow PediaStaff.  You will find more ideas than you know what to do with.  Roughly 30% of my therapy material comes from ideas/downloads from Pinterest.  

Fluency Resources
I have an unusually high number of fluency clients this year.    I found some great resources from The Stuttering Foundation.  I handed out 8 Tips for Teachers and played Stuttering:  For Kids, By Kids at the beginning of each fluency session.  Watching the video really set the stage to have nice conversation about stuttering and associated feelings.  

Apps for Children with Special Needs
New to the world of iDevices and apps?  Start looking around at A4CWSN.  Check out the free apps tab and the favorite apps tab (my favorites!).  I go to this website frequently to see what's new.  

Thank you Leslie Lindsay for writing a comprehensive book about Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS).  This book is informative enough to teach an SLP a thing or two, yet chatty enough to be a page turner for other parents.  My favorite chapter, "What You Can Do at Home:  Tappping into your Inner Speech-Langauge Pathologist," gives creative therapy ideas that can be implemented at home (or in the speech room!).  I have recommended this book to a few parents and have received great reviews.  Add a copy to your professional library today! 
Speaking of Apraxia: A Parents' Guide to Childhood Apraxia of Speech

Talk it up!
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment