background

Monday, February 6, 2012

Diary of a Speech Kid

What is it about Diary of a Wimpy Kid that is grabbing kids' attention?  I think it helps that the kids can all relate to Greg Heffley. Greg finds himself thrown into middles school, where "wimpy" kids like himself share the school with bigger, meaner kids.  Regardless, my kids are obsessed with Wimpy Kid and I decided to play into their obsessions for Diary of a Speech Kid Week.

Diary of a Speech Kid:  Fill-In
I use this activity for students who need help with syntax.  They must think of adjectives, verbs, nouns, etc. to complete the diary entry.  I also use this for speech kids.  These silly stories are great for students working on carryover of speech sounds.  If they are working on /r/, make sure all of their fill-in choices have the /r/ sound.
Diary of a Speech Kid- Fill-In

Glow Draw+FunBrain= Speech Practice
Fun Brain has the entire Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book #1 on their website.   Check out book #1 here.  I printed off a few pages, took a picture of them with my iPad, and opened them in the Glow Draw app.  (I have seen this technique on Pinterest.  Not sure who should get credit...)  No iPad?  Just print off the pages and have students highlight the target words.

Word Level- The student underlines every word that has their target sound in it.  They practice saying each word 5 times.

Reading Level-  The student underlines every word that has their target sound in it.  They read the passage paying close attention to underlined words.


Diary of a Wimpy Kid Event Kit

This packet has a lot of great activities.  However, the only one I borrowed was the Secret Word Game.
The player has to describe the "secret word"  without using any "forbidden words."  I use this for language (describing nouns) and speech (carryover practice).  I sorted the words based on the students' knowledge of Greg Heffley.

Vocabulary Bingo

We didn't have time to read the entire Diary in my class.  However, the reading teacher did.  I passed this activity on to her to help the language impaired students get more vocabulary exposure.

Talk it up!
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a 6th grader that I see for language and he loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid--can't wait to use this with him tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! Be on the look out for even more Diary activities. My students begged for more so I have two more activities that I came up with : )

    ReplyDelete