background

Monday, January 9, 2012

"X" Marks the Spot

Hello blog world!  My name is Ashley and I am a second year Speech-Language Pathologist for kids of all ages.  I feel as if I have some creative ideas to share with parents and fellow SLPs.  That's what has sparked this little blog!  I have a greater respect for all of you veteran bloggers because the design aspect is difficult!  Be patient with my ever-changing blog design because it is far from complete : )

For Post #1, I would like to share my new reward system that the kids are LOVING.  One recent quote, "I never want to graduate speech with prizes like this!"  lol  When the kids do something great, such as show up on time or have a super productive session, they get to roll the dice and color in that number of coins on the Treasure Map (linked here).  The treasure map is taped to the front of each student's file.  When they reach the "X" on the map, they get to pick some "loot" from the treasure chest ($15 from Michaels).  The "loot" consists of bouncy balls, sticky hands, etc. from Oriental Trading Company and some prizes from Target dollar spot.  I also made a coordinating bulletin board which turned out super cute!

Talk it up!
Ashley





4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Ashley! I've been doing it a few months and I'm still trying to figure out all the technical side! Looking forward to all your ideas. I will add you to my blogroll and hopefully you will get some traffic!

    Jenna
    SpeechRoomNews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following me! Good luck with your new blog. Pinterest inspired me to start mine, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin! I really love your blog! I'm thinking of changing the way I do things in therapy for next year, due to all the ideas on pinterest! Question: Do each of your kids have a speech folder and is that what the treasure map is taped on? Do you give homework and they take home the folder? Also, since the kids only get to roll the dice and color in coins when they do something great, does that mean they typically don't do it every session? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mallory, Each of my kids have a speech folder. This is where I keep their IEP and all of their tracking sheets. The treasure map is taped to the front of this folder. They do not bring these folders home. I have a separate system for homework. Typically, the kids do get to roll every session because I'm very lenient with what constitutes as "something great." I hope this has answered all of your questions! Thanks for reading!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete