background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

SLP Gold Mine

On a recent trip to Chicago, I discovered Marbles- The Brain Store.  SLP GOLD MINE!  The store was divided into sections based on which skill each game targets.  I spent my time in the sections labeled Critical Thinking, Memory, and Word Skills.  I could have easily spent one year's salary in this store.  Instead, I only spent one paycheck ; )  Here's some of what I walked away with:

Trigger
Perfect game for those therapy sessions when you are wondering what the heck to grab for the last 5 minutes that you hadn't anticipated having!    The directions are simple:  Listen to a statement, be the first to slap the trigger with the correct hand (right for true, left for false), you keep the card if you win. The goals I use it for are: following directions, memory, right/left discrimination, and social interactions. 



Sample Trigger Card

Rory's Story Cubes
I have used these dice for every kid on my caseload.  Buy them.  You won't be sorry.

The new version is at the top of my want list.  I will have them soon.

Anomia
This game is great for older students who need help with word finding.  It does require some pre-sorting.  What the heck is a famous address??? 

If you are lucky enough to live near a marbles store, go in and try every game.  You will love it.  If not, be thankful for online shopping. 

Talk it up!
Ashley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment